From 2004 – 2016, the TechBridgeWorld research group at Carnegie Mellon University innovated and implemented technology solutions to meet sustainable development needs worldwide. We created technology that was accessible and relevant to individual developing communities around the world.
TechBridgeWorld innovates and implements technology solutions to meet sustainable development needs around the world. Through strong collaborations with partners in developing communities, we explore and enhance the role of technology globally, focusing on two main principles: sharing expertise to create innovative and locally suitable solutions, and empowerment of indigenous populations to create sustainable solutions. Through these efforts TechBridgeWorld creates technology accessible and relevant to all.
TechBridgeWorld is shaping the future of technology for the globe. We cast the vision of technology accessible and relevant to all while defining technology to be broad; including, but not limited to, information and communication technologies. To this end, we work to increase the diversity of both creators and consumers of technology. TechBridgeWorld builds partnerships with developing communities to understand collective assets and authentic needs. Together, we create sustainable technical solutions to address challenges in development. We are a multidisciplinary team embedded within Carnegie Mellon University, spanning education, research, development, deployment, and outreach, dedicated to defining the role of technology in sustainable global development.
TechBridgeWorld is dedicated to improving people’s lives by enhancing and sharing advances in technology to promote sustainable development throughout the globe. Our vision is to create and foster an environment where Carnegie Mellon faculty, students, and staff, together with partners from around the world, share expertise to cooperatively realize a community’s vision of development. We encourage locally suitable and sustainable technology by adhering to each community’s vision of progress, thus preserving their ownership of the benefits and consequences of the realized vision.
We envision a world where:
- Global sharing of technological innovation and related knowledge is a common practice
- Students and professionals enable culturally sensitive technology development
- Creative technology solutions address problems affecting developing communities
- Technology no longer exacerbates divides, but instead diminishes social divides
- Advanced technology is accessible and relevant to all
- The frontiers of technological innovation are advanced by the diversity of the creators of this technology
- Cultural awareness, respect, and tolerance across borders is enhanced by shared technology
- The lives of future generations around the world are enriched through the appropriate use of technology
*The opinions expressed by the bloggers are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of Carnegie Mellon University, TechBridgeWorld, or any employee thereof. Carnegie Mellon University is not responsible for the accuracy of the information supplied by the bloggers.